martedì 25 giugno 2024

Impressions of the trip to Croatia

ITALIAN STUDENTS’ IMPRESSIONS OF THE TRIP TO CROATIA

On 8th March 2024 five other students from my school and I took part in the Erasmus+ project “Arts for climate change”. Destination: Croatia, Metkovic. The journey was about a week long. The six of us immediately got on really well, even though we have never seen each other. After a day spent in Zagreb, we caught a bus which was about 8 hours long, where we spent most of the time chatting and playing together and getting to know each other better. When we arrived in Metkovic we were welcomed by our host families. The first days our host families guided us in the city so we could settle in a little. Then, in the next few days, us, the Turkish group and Croatians made two projects. The first one was about building an eco-friendly city and the second one was about making a melody where we mimicked the sound of the rain with instruments that we made ourselves. We even visited nearby cities such as Dubrovnik, Rigotin, etc. And we spent every evening in a pub playing eight ball and having a lot of fun. During this week I got the chance to socialize with lots of people even though there was a language barrier which was actually really useful so that I could improve my English. I even got to know a new culture, especially after staying a whole week with my host family which I got along with really well. Overall, this was a really cool experience that I would never forget, and I’d recommend it to everyone.

Dario Buscema


 

Erasmus in Croatia was an experience I will never forget. When we arrived, I was very afraid to know where I would go, who I would be with, what environment I would find, and I was very afraid to speak out for fear of making mistakes.  It was a fantastic 6 days, I had a great time with the host family, kind and polite, they made me feel at home.  The first two days we took part in the project on climate change organised by the school, where we created a sustainable city with re-used materials. The third and fourth day we visited some cities near Metkovic, the most beautiful is Dubrovnik, which is Ragusa in Italian.  In the evening, we were all together in the usual "Industry pub", where we joked, ate and played darts and billiards. We also did a beautiful music workshop, creating musical instruments and then we shot a video while playing them.  The last day was very sad, when we said goodbye and got on the bus a piece of us was left there.  I can't wait for January to host them here and introduce them to our city.

Angela Cataldi

 

Before leaving for this Erasmus project, I was quite skeptical for two reasons: one was the fear of being far from home, while the other was the concern about not being able to communicate well with those who were hosting me. However, these fears disappeared immediately after our arrival in the town of Metkovic, where we received a warm welcome from the students who were hosting us and from the Croatian teachers. The Croatian girls, as soon as they met me and my other two companions, immediately made us leave our luggage and took us on an evening tour of the town, to help us get used to it and to get to know each other better, instead of taking us straight home. Metkovic is mainly a smaller town than Modica, but it probably has the same entertainment and many similar places.

We spent the week among jokes and laughter, and even during the projects, there was not a moment when we did not communicate with each other. Certainly, we had ups and downs, but we were able to resolve them calmly with explanations.

This project has helped me understand how climate change is having a strong impact in Italy, Croatia, and Turkey, as each group representing their country talked about how this has contributed to creating big problems for each nation. Additionally, this cultural exchange has opened my eyes to the diversity and the importance of international cooperation in addressing global challenges such as climate change.

Gaia Fidelio


This experience was really fantastic. I had a lot of fun. Initially my fear was speaking English because I'm not used to speaking it all the time, this problem didn't last very long until we started to develop relationships with the Croatian students. I can't complain about the family I ended up in, the parents were extremely helpful and the boy even more so, to the point that I now consider him like a brother. I had a great time with everyone: teachers and students. I really liked the project we did because it is something about current events; the towns we visited were very beautiful and especially Metkovic, the village where we spent a fantastic week. The bad thing is that they split the Erasmus group and unfortunately some of those we were very close to will not come to my town in January. I hope to have an experience like this again, it was fantastic.

Daniele La Cognata

 

The experience we had during the Erasmus project was very special, on the one hand the homesickness, adapting to a different reality and especially the difficulty I encountered at the beginning with the English language, but on the other hand it was a unique and very beautiful experience, which I would do again if I had the chance. Going to another country, getting to know new cultures and customs different from ours, acquiring new knowledge and above all I will always carry with me the new friendships that were made during that week.

Melania Macauda

 




This Erasmus trip was very important for me because it allowed me to speak in a language that you learn at school but which is obviously very different from speaking it every day, every morning as soon as you wake up and consequently obviously also trying to improve it , but also to see how each of us can manage our linguistic skills individually so not only when we are in a group and therefore help each other but also when we are alone together with those students, those parents and in short that family who speak English so fluently that you often panic.

Finally, I can say that it was actually all very nice also because the guys were very nice.  Yes, at the beginning there were some complications but then they were solved and it was therefore a great experience to be with them and above all to get to know their habits and their hobbies, their school, their places and their landscape, and the beautiful cities like Dubrovnik. Also, exploring the mountain with the statue of Jesus Christ and the first fan with ventilation ducts was an unforgettable experience that I absolutely want to do again next year. After we left and we arrived at Catania airport in Sicily, I had tears in my eyes because I already missed the boys, I missed being with them, speaking in English and spending time with them.

Davide Tarantino